Subject: Re: Film to Video Conversion
From: Stephen Benson <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 1996 13:09:44 -0800

>>>The reason, as most are aware I'm sure, is that nasty reality of
>>>transferring the film rate of 24fps to video 30fps.  Essentialy doubling
>>>every fifth frame is not the way this was intended to be viewed. Normal
>
>>I don't disagree that filmed motion looks different when viewed in its
>>original 24 fps format than after being converted to 30 fps video, but I've
>>never seen a "2 frame hold every fifth exposure" used to translate the frame
>>rates. The technique generally employed is refered to as a "2-3 pull down".
>
>Just to remind everyone of the existence of the PAL system!!! I never bothered
>comparing a movie smoothness with video, but I think that we can't loose that
>much since we just have to convert from 24fps to 25fps.
>

I'm just about to get to grips with recording to video here in the
UK (buying a PAR or renting time), and I've found this discussion
pretty interesting; can someone translate its implications for me?
Or are the theory and implementation pretty similar?